Welcome to a new school year with numerous changes for the Board, the Division and Education. After 12 years of trusteeship the Board said goodbye last year to Darrell Ghostkeeper. May God continue to guide him in all he does and the Board wishes Darrell success in all his future endeavors. It is with a heavy heart that the Board also said goodbye to a strong advocate for Catholic Education, Trustee Irene Sawyer, who passed away in September. We pray “Eternal rest grant unto her, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon her”. May her soul, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. With loss comes possibilities, the Board looks forward to new ideas coming from new trustees through a bi-election filling the trustee vacancy in the Whitecourt Ward in December 2019.
We are half way through our term as trustees. Going forward, our new name, Living Waters Catholic Separate School Division and new vision, To Create a better tomorrow by Knowing Ourselves, God and the World, will guide and inspire the Board’s advocacy efforts for publicly funded Catholic Education. At the Board’s Annual evaluation, the Board decided on the following areas of emphasis for themselves for the upcoming school year:
- This is the heart of who we are, why we are and guides us in all we do.
- Having a clear advocacy plan will provide guidance to the board when they are advocating for the needs of our students, staff, school, Division and Catholic Education.
- As we work our way through rebuilding trust and relationships, may the grace of God be present to guide us every step of the way.
- Being well versed in all aspects of education makes for informed decision making and good governance.
- Much has changed in education in the past year which requires Board review in order to be effective, efficient and diligent in our governance roles.
“I can do all this through Him who gives me strength.” Philippians 4:13
The Board of Living Waters continues to be here to serve, protect, nurture and rightly guide, through good governance and in the Catholic Faith, all staff and students in our schools. Here in Living Waters Catholic Separate School Division, our goal is that every child who enters our doors will graduate successfully from a faith-filled, safe and caring environment prepared for future success, guided by our vision, To Create a Better Tomorrow by Knowing Ourselves, God and the World.
On behalf of the Living Waters Catholic Separate School Board, God bless and have a wonderful school year!
Dana Kentner - Board Chair
“Whoever wants to be a leader among you, must be your servant.” Matthew 20:26